Turf Laying Tips For A Perfect Lawn & New Special Offers
We’ve already talked about getting your garden ready for spring here at M.J. Ryall, and one landscaping project that this season is particularly great for is rejuvenating your lawn and laying down some new turf. By the time summer rolls around the weather rolls around is usually a bit too dry to really be laying new turf, so the milder spring climate (as well as early autumn) is the perfect time to do it.
We’ve got a great choice of turf and topsoil supplies at our store in Hitchin, letting you get a fresh new lawn for the warmer weather – but be sure you follow our tips, and ask for assistance when buying, to ensure you lay your new turf properly and effectively.
How To Lay Your New Turf
Preparing the ground is essential for ensuring your new turf looks even and will successfully root itself. Get rid of any stones, weeds and old grass before raking and walking over the soil to give it an even and level finish. Before you start laying down your turf you should always put down some granular fertiliser and water the ground too.
Then comes the process of laying your new turf – it’s fairly straightforward but it’s important not to rush it. Take the following steps when laying down each roll:
- Lay your first row slowly along a straight edge, ensuring it’s flat, level and firmly down.
- For each row after the first make sure you stagger the joins like brickwork, standing on planks to avoid damage to the previous row.
- Ensure each new row is butted up firmly and closely to the previous one to avoid gaps.
- Make sure the turf runs beyond the lawn area, and trim these edges with a half-moon edging tool.
- Finally, try and put extra watered soil under the edges of the turf to stop it drying out.
- After it’s been laid, try not to walk on the turf for a couple of weeks to allow it to get rooted into the soil, and water it frequently to stop drying out and stimulate growth.
Spring Offers & Discounts From M.J. Ryall
As well as our expert advice and a great supply of materials and tools, we also pride ourselves on being able to offer you great value for money. Here at M.J. Ryall, we’ve launched a number of great spring special offers (available for a limited time) to help you get more bang for your buck when carrying out your building, landscaping projects including:
- * Bradstone range paving: Available in three colours and two standard sizes from just £10.95 per square metre, excluding VAT.
- * Or if you’re after something a little more traditional and authentic, we have paving from Castcrete Rutland available in three colours and four standard sizes from just £16.99 per square metre, excluding VAT.
We also stock a wide range of decorative aggregates to help top off your new garden renovation projects perfectly – our full selection is available to view in store, so you can find the right style and designs for your garden.
For more information on our landscaping, gardening and general DIY supplies visit our store in Hitchin or call us on 01462 730 169 for advice and info. We’re open seven days a week and offer free delivery within the local area, letting you get your spring garden projects up and running in time to make the most of the warm weather.